Crossing Borders: History, Dialogue of Languages and Cultures
5th International Scientific Conference on the Border of EU in Narva, Estonia
May 17-19, 2012, Narva, Estonia
Narva College of the University of Tartu is delighted to invite you to our international conference on “Crossing Borders: History, Dialogue of Languages and Cultures”, which it to be held on May 17-19, 2012. The fifth international conference focuses on the studies of history, languages and cultures of border regions, and continues the traditions of international scientific conferences on multiculturalism and identity issues (2003, 2006, 2008, 2010) hosted by Narva College.
The aim of the conference is to consolidate the efforts of specialists who are studying the past and present of border regions. It will bring together the researchers that are interested in the development of border regions as cultural and historical zones of mutual influence and interaction within the context of the globalization process.
The FOLLOWING TOPICS ARE GOING TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CONFERENCE
- The history of evolvement of a border region: the relationships of neighboring States;
- Border regions and cities’ development and interaction of their cultures;
- The language of rural and country population of a region;
- Education and its policy in a border region. Multicultural education and practice of educational institutions of a border region;
- Development of multicultural and plurilingual communities in border regions; identity issues of the population of border regions.
Conference language: English (presentations in Estonian or Russian are also welcomed if supported by English language slides).
On-line registration for the participation in the conference is open from 17.02.2012 till 30.04.2012 at the site of Narva College of the University of Tartu at.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE
Early Bird Registration until March 30, 2012
Registration after March 30, 2012
The registration fee includes:
- Participation to all sessions
- Conference bag with the essential conference materials
- Abstracts and Conference Programme Book
- Coffee breaks and lunches
- Opening Reception
- Narva city sightseeing tour
Conference Hotel is Inger: http://www.inger.ee/inger.php?lang=eng
Discounted room prices for Conference guests are as follows:
- Hotel Inger, single room, 30 Euro / night
- Hotel Inger, twin room, 39 Euro / night
More information about the social program and the detailed descriptions of the events can be obtained at the conference web-site.
- Bus tour from Tallin to Narva (visiting Toila, Blue Mountains/Sinimäe, Narva-Jõesuu, Narva)
- Opening Reception — Thursday, May 17
- Optional Evening Program – a Night Tour of Narva Castle — Friday, May 18
- Narva city sightseeing tour Saturday — Saturday, May 19
- Cultural programme for those who intend to stay in Narva. Transport for those who are leaving for Tallinn.
- Tour 1. Evening trip from Ida-Viru County to Tallinn: night lights of Sillamäe and Rakvere (arriving in Tallinn at approx. 22:00) — Saturday, 19 May.
- Tour 2. Day trip from Ida-Viru County to Tallinn: Ida-Viru county, Sillamäe — Rakvere — Tallinn — Sunday, 20 May.
Following the conference, conference proceedings will be available on-line on Narva College’s webpage.
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE:
Karsten Brüggemann, PhD, Germany — Estonia
Do Coyle, PhD, UK
Mikhail Lurye, Candidate of Science in Art History, Russia
Jelena Nõmm, PhD, Estonia
Jelena Rootamm-Valter, PhD, Estonia
Vadim Semenov, PhD, Estonia
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
Olga Burdakova, PhD (Olga.Burdakova [ät] ut.ee)
Anna Džalalova, PhD
Aet Kiisla, MSc
Niina Raud, PhD
Kaarel Vanamölder, МА
CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT (accommodation, registration, social programme, etc): Crossing.Borders [ät] narva.ut.ee