Innovative Methods in Multicultural Education
Narva College of the University of Tartu
is delighted to invite you to our international conference on
“Innovative Methods in Multicultural Education”,
a joint Multicultural Education and ELT conference which continues
the traditions of international scientific conferences on multiculturalism and identity issues
(2003, 2006, 2008)
and international ELT conferences (2006, 2008) hosted by Narva College
May 13 - 15, 2010
We intend to pay attention to the need of bringing cultural awareness and innovations into content and language learning, thus providing a focus for dissemination of research in this field and discussion of best practices of multicultural/ multilingual education.
There are four key conference sub-themes:
- Multicultural Education and Support of Cultural Identity: development of tolerance and cultural identity; cultural identity in multilingual/multicultural environment; native language and culture in secondary and upper-secondary school; the role of university to support and develop students’ cultural identity;
- Foreign Language Teaching and Learning: development of e-learning support and study materials; foreign language for special purposes; language level assessment; language level exams vs state exams;
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): school and university content teaching in a foreign language; traditions and innovations in CLIL; content teaching in mixed level language groups; teachers’ cooperation with parents to support content teaching in a foreign language;
- Teacher Training for Multilingual and Multicultural School: in-service teacher training for schools and kindergartens of national minorities; teacher training for border areas.
The purpose of this conference is to bring together researchers and practitioners from different countries who are eager to share their researches and experiences in the field of multicultural studies and foreign language teaching and learning. In this way, we hope to contribute to the field and bridge the gap between research and practice.
The event is supported by the USA Embassy, Tallinn and EDUKO programme.
Narva College of the University of Tartu is an acknowledged centre for multicultural and multilingual education studies in Estonia, which is devoted to expanding its expertise by continuous research of education practices in Estonia and abroad.
Narva College of the University of Tartu :
- A regional faculty of the University of Tartu
- Centre for multicultural research in Estonia
- 650 students and 29 teachers
- Languages of instruction: Estonian, Russian, English
We are looking forward to meeting all of you in NARVA.
a. call for papers/submission of abstracts 01.11.09 - 31.01.2010
b. registration of participants 15.02.10 - 30.04.2010
Early Bird Registration until March 30, 2010
100 Euro (1565 EEK)
30 Euro (470 EEK)
50 Euro (780 EEK)
Registration after March 30, 2010
120 Euro (1875 EEK)
50 Euro (780 EEK)
70 Euro (1095 EEK)
The registration fee includes:
- Participation to all sessions
- Conference bag with the essential conference materials
- Abstracts and Conference Programme Book
- Coffee breaks and lunches
- Opening Reception
- Narva city sightseeing tour
Single paper presentation (20 min); symposium (two or three paper presentations with a follow up discussion on one topic) (40/60min), workshop (1.30 min), poster
Conference Hotel is Inger.
Discounted room prices for Conference guests are as follows:
Hotel Inger, single room, price 33 Euro (520 EEK)
Hotel Inger, twin room, price 42 Euro (650 EEK)
Hotel Inger, double room, price 42 Euro (650 EEK)
Please see "Practical information" on the conference web-page and visit http://tourism.narva.ee/
More information about the social program and the detailed descriptions of the events can be obtained at the conference web-site.
- Opening Reception - Thursday, May 13
- Visits to Narva schools Friday, May 14
- Optional Evening Program - a Night Tour of Narva Castle Friday, May 14
- Narva city sightseeing tour Saturday, May 15
Following the conference, conference proceedings will be available on-line on Narva College’s webpage.
Local Organizing Committee:
Nina Raud, PhD, Chair (Niina.Raud [ät] ut.ee)
Anna Dzalalova, PhD
Olga Burdakova, PhD
Conference Secretariat (accommodation, registration, social programme, etc):
englishref [ät] narva.ut.ee
International Scientific Committee:
Michael Byram, Doctor of Sciences, UK
Jekaterina Protassova, Doctor of Sciences, Finland
Jelena Nõmm, PhD, Estonia
Vadim Semenov, PhD, Estonia
Conference language: English
(presentations in Estonian or Russian are also welcomed if supported by English language slides)